Quick Appointment Form
The paediatric diabetic clinic deals with children with
Type 1 diabetes ,Type 2 diabetes, Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young (MODY), Neonatal diabetes and other rare forms of diabetes.
Confirmatory tests for the types of diabetes including antibody tests- Insulin antibodies , GAD(Glutamic acid decarboxylase antibodies), zinc transporter antibodies etc,tests to look at the pancreatic function including C-peptide measurements and tests to diagnose complications are done.
Specialised genetic testing is done including those for genes for maturity onset diabetes and neonatal diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes is a form of diabetes mellitus that is most common in children. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disorder that permanently destroys beta cells in the pancreas, meaning that the body can no longer produce insulin. People with type 1 diabetes therefore require regular insulin delivery to manage their diabetes.We provide care for children with type 1 diabetes mellitus for using
- Insulin initiation
- Dose adjustments
- Demonstration of Insulin devices like pens, syringes and insulin pumps
- Dietary advice
- Exercise and its effects
- SMBG –Self monitoring of blood glucose
- Regular follow up which includes testing control with HBA1C 3 monthly and testing for complications that include-kidney function tests,retinopathy screening ,and other associated problems with type 1 diabetes like thyroid and coeliac disease
- Monitoring of growth including height weight and BMI
- Managing hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia
- Sick day guidelines
- Obesity and weight management clinic gives advice on weight issues
- Psychological Counselling for the family is provided by our psychologist
Insulin pump – is the recent advance in insulin delivery and we use insulin pumps in our older children and adolescents. Education and training to use the insulin pump effectively is given to our patients
CGMS – Continuous glucose monitoring is the newest way to monitor blood sugar levels It is a device that records blood sugar levels throughout the day and night that can provide up to 288 measurements every 24 hours. The system is used to measure an average blood sugar for three days while the child continues his/her daily activities at school and home.
FRIENDS FOREVER – Our support group for children with type 1 diabetes and their families meets on the 2nd Saturday of every month during which educational activities, group discussions, fun activities including painting ,drawing activities and outdoor trips are conducted.